Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What to wear to a Balinese Temple

The group going to Bali from the Asian Art Museum talked about appropriate wear for visiting a Balinese temple. I will have to buy my temple outfit when I arrive, but I have a simple cotton batik kain or kamben (often mistakenly called a sarong by us Westerners). The difference is that a true sarong is a tube of fabric which you step into, and gather around the waist. As I understand, it is more informal than a kamben, which a long rectangle of fabric that is wrapped around the waist and tied. I have no idea of the proper way to tie these, and hope someone knowledgeable in Bali will help me.

I found two helpful descriptions of Balinese dress online at:
http://www.geocities.com/bali_traditional_life/bali_costume.htm
http://www.murnis.com/culture/articlebalinesedressandtextiles.htm

and some photos of people wearing it

Balinese girls in sarong and kebaya
Photo by Nick O'Neill

Ubud Banten
Photo by Damian White

1 comment:

bittermelon said...

adding to the list of things to wear generally in bali (and not in a temple), comfy breezy eddie bauer shorts! you're quite prolific on this blog. awesome!